Thursday 8 December 2016

Blog Post #21 - Buddhism

I am not a religious person and tend to avoid all discussions related to the subject. Although I may not understand the teachings of Buddhism, I have made many surface-level observations. It is deeply ingrained in Lao and Southeast Asian societies, and therefore I encounter monks, temples and other Buddhist influences on a daily basis (the following pictures are from my travels in both Laos and Thailand)

Helping the monks learn English (Laos)

Temples are everywhere in Vientiane. All uniquely beautiful (Laos)

Monks get special seating at airports (Thailand)

I have always thought highly of Buddhism, but spending extended time here, I have even more respect for the religion and its followers. You do not have to believe in it yourself, but its hard to deny the many positive influences that it can have. Everything from the beautiful temples, the friendly monks, and the welcoming, generous people...to name only a few.

It is rare to see free food for tourists...except at some temples (Thailand)

It must takes years to decorate some of these stupas (Thailand)
Inside is even more impressive (Laos)


Pretty surreal and calming listening to the monks pray to Buddha (Thailand)

You will not see me attending temple prayers on a regular basis, but all power to you if it makes you happy and helps you find a little peace in your life.
 
 A little serenity in the heart of Bangkok

Monks are always happy to talk and show me around (Thailand)

My hair matches! (Thailand)

Over the next few months I hope to learn even more, and hopefully add a little positive 'Buddha' to my life back home.

Have an awesome weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment