Sunday 24 September 2017

Blog Post #45 - Last Stop, Punjab

 A fun-filled summer (combined with a busy work schedule) has meant a long delay for this last post from India. It honestly feels like a life time ago since I was there (March / April / May 2017), and I have only finally started to transition back to a diet of naan and curry here in Canada.

Punjabi people make up an overwhelming majority of Indians in Canada. Many came as refugees in the 1980s after Indira Ghandi was killed. The presence of Punjabis in Canada has also translated to a visible Canadian connection in Punjab. You will see the maple leaf in Punjab more than any other international flag. I also met many young Punjabis while there, and most had aspirations to eventually study in Canada. They are sure to bring not only the smarts, but also the loud music and dance party.

Amritsar

Punjabi music and bhangra are my FAVORITE! Lots of energy and smiles

The holiest site in the Sikh religion. The Golden Temple

Never did confirm if they are sweeping for insects or just dirt?

I learned a lot about Sikh traditions.
People were always very pleased for the opportunity to share

I lucked out with an overcast day that was NOT 'India hot'

Hot enough for a midday swim though

Guards with big spears everywhere

Can never complain about my job again

Wagah border with Pakistan is a must see if you are visiting Amritsar. Thousands of Indians chanting, yelling, dancing, singing the anthem, and doing everything to make themselves feel better than the Pakistanis on the other side. Honestly, it came across as a bunch of children on a playground with self-esteem issues. Scary to think they have nukes pointed at each other.

The Punjab police stopped my rickshaw and jumped in for a ride

The constant requests for pictures makes me relieved not to be a celebrity

Chandigarh

Probably the most Western-looking city I saw in India. Large streets, traffic circles and some space on the roads. Was only there for one night, but stayed with a friend's parents. A beautiful family that showed me a very nice local experience in a not-so touristy city.

The rock garden in Chandigarh makes for a relaxing afternoon (despite the heat)

I am not an overly art-inclined individual, but thought these two were pretty cool

I had hours to wait for my flight and the young guy was nice to chat with.
My running shoes have never looked so unnecessarily clean.

I hope you have enjoyed the posts from my time in India. Eventually I will share some stories from a short trip through Jakarta and Bali, after I left India. And hopefully I will soon have pictures from new exciting adventures. Let me know if you have ideas!

<3 Jesse

No comments:

Post a Comment