Wednesday 14 September 2016

Blog Post #1 - Top 5 Whackiest Items Being Packed

Just finished eating my last dinner in Calgary at my favorite pizza spot, A Pizza Plus. Thought I would give this blogging thing a first try.

For those of you who aren't already sick of hearing more about rice farming from someone that knows little about it (yet!), I will provide a quick Cole's Notes of my next 8-months:

  • Supply chain business adviser for the Sustainable Agriculture and Environment Development Association (SAEDA from now on!)
  • Volunteering for 6 months in Vientiane with regular field trips to rural northern Laos
  • Trying my best to learn the language and speak with rice farmers to help them out!
  • Travelling for two months after the placement...definitely India for at least half

And I would not be a consultant if I did not follow directions and include the mandatory italics...

"the views expressed in this blog are the author's own and do not necessarily reflect those of Cuso International."

I started putting ideas for what my first ever blog post could focus on, and I landed on this one. I think it really fits my personality. Enjoy!!



#1 Packing three of my FAVORITE games for making new friends. I imagine one or two Beerlao will be consumed in the process.

Snagged some zip locks from the ex-roommates so they don't take up half a suitcase...although the space would not go to waste.


Of course I cannot be working with Laos rice farmers and not have Settlers of Catan. I've already replaced all the wheat with my own design....









 #2 Although you could easily miss the impressive base tan that I have put on over the last week, bucket hats are a must for sun protection...and simply being NYC runway fashionable. I go few places without my bucket hat, its been everywhere from ski hills to BIG cities. And now it will make the journey to Vientiane!

A huge shoutout to a friend for the green bucket. I will rock some MEC apparel to match, and blend in to the fields.



 #3 My roommate happens to have a few small connections with Rosso Coffee Roasters. He set me up with an Aeropresse and two of his amazing new Colombian beans. Find them at your nearest Rosso in Calgary!

Roasted here in Calgary but sourced directly from small farmers in Colombia. I guess working with farmers runs in the "roommate family." I cannot wait to share my stories with you over a mug of Laos' finest beans. Maybe I will come back with a new device for future brews.

(That's a manual coffee bean grinder for anyone too used to those wall plugs. Try one out and build some amazing glutes as you put all you got into that perfect grind)




 #4 I hear its hot outside in Laos, and also that there are a few unexploded ordance lying about. We will just have to be less aggressive with the bocce throws.

Basically in summary, yard games with real snakes in the grass....Ladders for when the super disc gets stuck in a palm tree.
#5 I never go anymore without some souvenirs for new friends and little menaces you cant help but grow attached to. I think its something that I started by watching my mom pack for our past family adventures.

She has her legendary travel stories. But while she may have once had no problem saying goodbye to home, she hates having to see her son leave town for 8 months.










See you all next year! Comment on what whacky things you think I am missing.....or very obvious things that I have probably totally forgotten about.

I am off to the airport. Calgary >> Vancouver  >> Taipei >> Hanoi >> Vientiane

Cheers,
Jesse

1 comment:

  1. Very helpful ....... interesting ....... nice ......
    thank you .... good luck always .......
    visit also my website ....... please .....

    Penyakit Ambeien
    Penyakit Ambeien
    Obat Ambeien Herbal
    Kutil Kelamin
    Kutil Kelamin
    Penyakit Sipilis

    ReplyDelete