Wednesday 21 September 2016

Blog Post #2 - Road Safety

I have arrived safe and sound in my new (temporary) home of Vientiane Laos. Although I have already had some frustrating phone and internet problems (almost as expected), I am starting to get the lay of the land. One of my most important lessons so far has been ROAD SAFETY...especially because I am road biking a few kilometers to work everyday.

Here are some pictures that illustrate the "organized" chaos that defines traffic in Vientiane.


Motorbikes and cars must learn to share the road. But zig zagging through traffic means survival of the fittest

I live very close to Patuxai!

Tuk tuks are the staple South East Asian mode of transport for both tourists and locals

Biking on the roads is definitely not for the faint of heart. On top of watching out for cars whizzing past inches away from your bike, I have also had to be on the lookout for potentially rabid dogs that will not shy away from chasing you. Today alone I was chased by three dogs on two separate occasions. All were not happy...maybe I came too close to their piece of sidewalk, or looked a bit intimidating with a helmet that they do not see often. Very glad I got my rabies shots before arriving.

I now carry a stick in my bike basket to scare any dogs that come too near. I hope I do not have to use it

3 comments:

  1. That's one intimidating cyclist!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kimmy here! Biking in Victoria, BC does not seem so terrifying now!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you need Personal Finance?
    Business Cash Finance?
    Unsecured Finance
    Fast and Simple Finance?
    Quick Application Process?
    Finance. Services Rendered include,
    *Debt Consolidation Finance
    *Business Finance Services
    *Personal Finance services Help
    contact us today and get the best lending service
    personal cash business cash just email us below
    Contact Us: financialserviceoffer876@gmail.com
    call or add us on what's app +918929509036

    ReplyDelete