Thursday 29 September 2016

Blog Post #4 - Learning the Lao Language

I strongly believe that making every effort to learn the language of a place you are visiting or working is very important. Not only is it a sign of respect, but you also get a great feeling putting a smile on someone listening to you struggle through a conversation. We cannot expect everyone around the world to learn English!

Lao is not an easy language, but the people of the Laos have greatly appreciated the strong efforts I have made in the last two weeks to learn. I am already at the point where I can have basic conversations. Fortunately, Cuso has sponsored me to attend a daily Lao language class for two hours every day. Most evenings I also travel to the night markets to speak with vendors, bargaining, buying and asking as many random questions as they can tolerate.
Our Lao Language School
The school is guarded by our furry pal, "No Name"
You would be buying a lot of vowels on the Laos version of the Wheel of Fortune

I may sound like an idiot to them most of the time, but I am making leaps and bounds towards my goal of learning the language for full conversations at the office.

This book is my bible and goes with me everywhere in case I forget a word mid-conversation
I still must learn the word for "Blizzard"!!

1 comment:

  1. I'm week behind on the updates but loving this one. Love that you're out and about and practicing. Sounds like you're off to a great start.

    ReplyDelete