Tuesday 4 October 2016

Blog Post #5 - My First Day at the Office

After two weeks of orientation and language training, the time has finally come to put on my big boy sandals and head to the office.


You become spoiled with the luxuries of life at Deloitte and the client site. Here are a couple of things I can never again complain about when I get back to Canada:

  • The quality of office coffee. Ever heard of 3-in-1? Well it tastes as bad as it sounds. Sugar, milk and "coffee" all mixed together in a packet....so basically just hot sugar water. I am bringing my Aeropresse and Rosso beans to the office tomorrow!
  • The ergonomics of my desk chair. Although always a constant adjustment battle back in Calgary, I now have to worry more about getting slivers on my wood chair. Glute massages will also have to be a regular appointment in my schedule.
  • Keeping my desk clean. Leave any open food or drink on your desk for longer than a minute and you will find a swarm of ants. It sounds disgusting but its more annoying than anything.
But you must always look on the bright side, and there are already many things I am very happy about:
  • The office WiFi is working wonders at the moment (*knock on wood*)
  • Lao culture requires sandals off inside an apartment or office, so I get to walk around barefoot. My feet have never felt so freeeeeee
  • Everyone disappears at 4:30pm. I am already perceived as a keener because its 5pm and all I can hear is the fan on full blast.
I like fan
  • The team has been so welcoming and friendly. Very patient with my Lao language practice and always willing to Mad Lib my sentences.
Cuso volunteers work side-by-side with the veterans

2 comments:

  1. Jealous of your barefoot work environment :) It's snowing today...just saying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I look like I'm working hard. Why aren't you??

    ReplyDelete