Wednesday 26 October 2016

Blog Post #10 - Meeting in Laos

We have all been in a meeting or classroom at which some point we start to doze off. Either lack of sleep (or too many beverages) the night before, boring subject material, or in my most recent case, absolutely no English being spoken.

Now, I have sat through many meetings where I really have no idea what is going on. Actually it happens quite often back home, but at least in those meetings I speak the language. Throw out a fancy supply chain buzzword like "velocity-based storage" and you are good to stay silent for the rest of the meeting (as the rest of the group scratches their heads puzzled).

"Velocity-based storage" will make even the most seasoned warehouse expert warm on the inside

But when the only supply chain buzzwords you know in Laos are "I would like my noodles with chicken and not spicy," its a little more difficult to provide meaningful contributions. So when I ran out of important things to say in Laos shortly after the start of the meeting and all the introductions (making sure to save the rest of my Laos for lunch soon to come), I was bound to start dozing off.

The voices sounded like my apartment ceiling fan. A soothing white noise that no doubt required more than just 3-in-1 coffee to fight back the closing eye lids. I tried hard to stay upright, smiling to myself and laughing when other people laughed, but the pressure was too great and I soon fell asleep.

My colleague captured the moment I went 'dead' in the meeting

I awoke to some commotion maybe 45 minutes later. We had a break! I grabbed some more sugar water. I now had the energy to continue smiling to myself. I was definitely looking forward to the next quarter, third or half of the meeting. Obviously I did not know what point in the presentation we were at, but I was sure there was only more excitement to come.

Lunch was soon around the corner. Too much later and the sugar water would have lost its effect. I was back to speaking full Laos in conversations. They were very impressed..... What can I say, "noddle soup with chicken" is a damn fine dish.

Velocity-based storage....with extra chicken

No comments:

Post a Comment