Sunday 8 January 2017

Blog Post #25 - Family's Christmas Vacation through Southeast Asia (Part 3 - Laos)

Now I may be a bit biased, but Laos never fails to impress and I am very glad that my family got the opportunity to visit where I currently live and work. Such a beautiful country, along with its people! It may be easy to overlook when planning your next vacation to Southeast Asia, considering the pull of its more well-known neighbours. BUT do not skip! It will not disappoint and it is a very nice break from the busy chaos that is Vietnam and Cambodia.

LUANG PRABANG

Highlight: Luang Prabang was my favorite stop on the 3-week trip, so its tough to narrow down to one thing. I think the river cruise we did is definitely up there on the list though. Also swimming at Kuang Si falls is probably the closest thing to the Garden of Eden (without the throngs of tourists of course)

Discussing the meaning of life (or the next video game he plans to get)
A unique way to make jerky.....maybe a future design for rice drying?
The rice will come with a satellite TV package

They outplayed me. Obviously too much sticky rice. Valid excuse?

A couple of sirens on the rocks

Somehow managed to cut out all the people, but believe me they are there in numbers

Probably my favorite of the trip.
I want to live at a temple....just for a week

Talk about relaxing. Such gentlemen making the only lady sit
Such a gentleman sharing my coffee....
Practicing my Laos (despite my 'wise chin rub', the conversations are not deep)

Told you about the flowers 

Timed perfectly

....sure is

Wouldn't be a showcase of Laos without some BeerLao

VIENTIANE

Highlight: Introducing the family to my coworkers and going out for a coffee at my go-to spot was pretty cool! Maybe staying at the swanky Lao Plaza Hotel down the street from my apartment was another highlight. Back to having showers over my toilet...

My standard spot for coffee breaks (and naps) away from the office

She is a volunteer English teacher back home. Those monks are lucky to be working with a professional. My mom felt more fortunate though

[After a short conversation]..."I'm going to have to call you back. Nearing the end of monk's prayer"

I swear we don't choose to cut my dad out of the photos. He was probably just sleeping somewhere

And the album wouldn't be complete without (more) dogs!

Can never have too many

Finally, I spent this past Sunday playing around with Movie Maker at a cafe. Here are the results. Hope you enjoy and happy 2017!!! (it's also on Facebook if you want better quality)

Stay tuned for more of the weekly posts as I start the second half of my volunteer placement in Laos 



No comments:

Post a Comment