Sunday 22 January 2017

Blog Post #28 - Translating Consultant Buzzwords into Lao

I imagine there are some Deloitte consultants reading this blog. Maybe even some from Pwc, Accenture, BCG or Bain......although those guys speak in Sandscript....an ancient language that no one really understands.

Just a couple of Deloitte consultants speaking to each other in code....mouth wide open trying to sound smart

Regardless, this post is for all of you.....and I imagine some others that have watched House of Lies. There is no doubt that consultants will use AT LEAST one of these phrases in a day. So in case you come to work in Laos, here are some 'direct' translations to help navigate your client conversations.

Considering I am illiterate in Lao, I will avoid providing translations into the Lao language (not that many of you or myself would understand anyways)


"Boil the Ocean" - ______ (Mr. Jesse, we do not have an ocean to boil)

"Buy In" - _____ (Too expensive, we would rather buy noodle soup)

"Deck" - _________ (Why would I waste my time building a deck? My house is on stilts)

"EOD" -  _________ (Maybe I can get it to you tomorrow.)

"Hard Stop" - ___________ (Extra hard braking to avoid the car driving on the wrong side of the road)

"MECE" - _______ (Me see...it's starting to rain)

"Monitor" - STRATEGY, WOW (**universally recognized**)....inside Deloitte joke that not even the Bain consultants are smart enough to analyze and report on

"On the Beach" - _________ (Sure, let's go to Thailand for the weekend!)

"On the Bench" - ________ (No I would rather sleep on my bed)

"SME" - _________ (I eat A LOT of rice, does that make me SME or just full?)

"Straw Man" - _______ (No need, there are not many crows in the rice paddies)

"Synergy" -  __________ (Had a great sleep last night, I have lots of synergy today)

"Takeaway" - __________ (NO, there is air conditioning at this restaurant)

"Wordsmith" - ___________ (A seamstress is much cheaper, she can fix it for you)

"Workshop" - ___________ (YES! Daily stipend and snacks)....I joke, there are many that are genuinely interested in workshops

Fortunately not many nights like this while in Laos
But I sure do miss them
(we are at a project status meeting in this picture of course)

All the best for a happy week ahead!

1 comment: