Sunday 26 February 2017

Blog Post #36 - Mulberries Organic Silk Farm

Between interviewing farmers in Xiengkhouang two weeks ago, we had a small window to go visit the 'famous' Mulberries Organic Silk Farm in the area. They have a very nice store in Vientiane that my family stopped in at when they were here in early January.


I have visited silk houses in China years ago, but have never had the opportunity to see the actual silk production process. As quoted from the experts at the farm and on Wikipedia, Mulberry silk is one of the world's best quality silks. Do not ask me to name any other type of silk, but the Mulberry scarves did feel quite nice. In addition to being smooth, Mulberry silk apparently also has very strong fibres... although I cannot confirm because I did not want to risk testing the durability and strength of the scarves around the store. Not only am I often too strong for my own good ;) , but I could rack up quite a hefty bill.

The worms eat the leaves of the white Mulberry plant. See below for the full production process....from tree to retail of the expensive scarf (for my mom).

These mulberry trees are 30 years old.
They are trimmed so that the leaves are easier to collect

New trees growing for transplant in other locations

The silk production process usually happens in a strictly controlled and monitored environment to ensure that the worms are happy and spinning no less than top notch silk threads.

We visited the silk worms staying at the 3-star resort. Despite having an all-you-can-eat buffet of white Mulberry plant leaves, their accommodation was sub-par, and lots of tourists visiting meant that all their needs could not be sufficiently addressed.

All those tiny black dots are very young silk worms
After a small feast and a bit of time, they start growing
Here they are almost big enough to bite your finger off...dangerous business
Once they are ready to start cocooning, they are placed on a mesh to collect the silk thread

The production stage is over.
The process for garment making is ready to begin

Getting the silk thread on spools

They can make 150 distinct colours using only organic plants

Reminds me of my grandma's wool room in the Lake District of northern England.
She used to dye all her own wool

Here is the dying process in action.
Not sure how you dye wool, but I imagine it is similar to dying silk

The weaving experts at work. It can take over a week to make a single pattern for a scarf

The final products!
($$$$$$)

Quite an amazing story. Not many people would have the strength to persevere through such tough circumstances
I met Mrs. Kommaly at an organic agriculture workshop in Vientiane. When I mentioned I was from Canada, she asked if I had heard of Cochrane, Alberta. My jaw dropped, because for those not familiar, Cochrane is a small 'city' 30 minutes from Calgary. She apparently has business partners / sponsors from Cochrane and she has visited the area (including Calgary) many times. Talk about a small world!

Enjoy the start of your week! This afternoon I am attending a workshop aimed to promote entrepreneurship among farmers.

Visit http://www.mulberries.org/about-us/silk-story/ for the full silk story.

No comments:

Post a Comment