Sunday 13 November 2016

Blog Post #15 - Top Activities to RELAX in Vientiane

The American election is finally over, and not sure about you, but I am already over the never ending coverage and social media posts. Blog views are way down around the world so I imagine you have all been preoccupied with it, BUT now tune in here to get away from all that is politics.

It's time to RELAX and put down those phones. There is no shortage of relaxing activities to do in and around Vientiane. While less known than some of its 'tourist friendly' neighbours, the people of Laos sure know how R&R. The common sayings are Bor Pen Nyang ("no worries") or Lao PDR (Lao Please Don't Rush).


Here is a short list of some relaxing activities in Vientiane.

#1 Buddha Park

The garden contains over 200 beautiful Hindu and Buddhist statues. Without much shade coverage, best to find a cloudy day when you can escape the bustle of the city, collect your thoughts and admire the art.



#2 Posting Up at a Cafe

French cafe culture is strong in Vientiane. Nice, air conditioned cafes can be found across the city, catering to FALANG (foreigners) and CON LAOS (Laos people) alike. You may have to fight for a spot Saturday morning.


#3 Chilling out at the Mekong River

While I do not think I would ever want to swim in the river, sitting on the banks makes for a pretty peaceful afternoon. Just make sure you get there before any mosquitoes emerge around dusk.

Although the rainy season is over and the Mekong has retreated, it is still an impressive sight
(Thailand can be seen on the other side)

#4 Getting a Massage (1 hour = $10 CAD!!!!!!!)

I have to make the most of them while here because comparable massages back home easily cost $100. I may age 20 years when I return since I cannot afford to have them 2x per week.

I have never been so flexible....and yet still cannot touch my toes. 

#5 Meditation with the Monks

I am terrible at meditation (hence the picture midway through), but I have been told about the benefits and will continue to practice.

Even the dogs cannot help but relax

As I have hit the 2-month mark of my trip, please let me know if there is anything you want to hear more about!

No comments:

Post a Comment