Thursday 3 November 2016

Blog Post #13 - Learning English

My friends knows I speak English not good (even worse after a few BeerLao). I speak more Hindi at the office anyways. No needs for English.

So when I was invited to an English cafe to practice, I jumped on the opportunity.



All kidding (and intentional poor English) aside, I thought the event would not only be a great way to meet new friends, but it would be a nice gesture for the people that have welcomed me to their country (and I can practice some Laos when the facilitators are not listening). 

Almost everyone I meet here is eager to learn English. It is the official language of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN), and Laos is very happy and proud to be a member. It means to fully participate, they must learn English and they need FALANG (foreigners) like myself to practice.



My mom is a volunteer English instructor for new immigrants in Calgary. I realize how much more difficult it is than I previously thought. Even in a short session you must show so much patience, and by the end of the event I was quite tired (the heat also partially contributing). I now can more appreciate the people that struggle with me through my Laos and French conversations (French is occasionally spoken by the older generations since Laos was once a French colony).

Even the monks are keen to learn!

So if you do bump into someone that struggles with your language, be extra patient and do not give up on them. They will get it eventually. You may just pull out a bit of your hair in the process.

Have a great weekend and stay tuned for more posts next week!

One sow noy!!!! (aka "TGIF" in Laos)


No comments:

Post a Comment