Monday 14 November 2016

Blog Post #16 - That Luang Festival

You probably are starting to think that I work harder going to festivals than actually getting things done around the office. It would not be a stretch to suppose, but I did not draw up the Buddhist calendar....and I am surely not complaining. But I can assure you that while Buddha may sometimes take center stage, the rice farmers still get most of my attention!

Anyways, festivals are more exciting than rice, so here is an overview of the That Luang festival from this past weekend.

That Luang at night

That Luang is the site of the city's founding pillar. It marks the focal point of the 3-day Buddhist festival which involves processions, monks and candles. People across the city and region will converge on the temple / wat, walk around it three times and chant the ancient words of Buddha. I am not sure what is being said, but I believe they are sending prayers and giving offerings to guardians of the city and Lord Buddha himself.

Make sure to do a few reps in the gym before trying to carry one of those 'wax castles' around the temple

SO MANY COLORS

I watched a few grass fires nearly cause a large bonfire

Even the monks whip out their phones to snap a picture of the impressive Wat

Imagine the Calgary Stampede but with what seems like 3x more people. Not exactly my cup of tea, but a memorable experience to say the least. I joined the crowds and walked around the wat three [two] times....always keeping a close eye on the walking candles ready to singe a hole in my clothing.

The commercial side of the festival....it helps to be a bit taller



Stay tuned for my coverage of the Mekong Festival this upcoming week......JOKING....there isn't a Mekong Festival to my knowledge....at least not in November.....but I am surely going to suggest it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment